Friday, June 26, 2009

So it goes. . .

The generational shock wave that was felt yesterday as news filtered through of Michael Jackson's death, shook me in my flip flops.

The text message came from Mr Brian Holtz, who is responsible for laying down the bass line when we play Billie Jean.  It seems particularly funny to have added that song to our set list on Tuesday night as something of a last minute call.  In fact, it was (in my opinion) one of our best performances of the song to date.  Whatever the case may be, his talent and indelible mark has been left on music for the rest of time.  Everywhere I've been over the last 18 hours has been playing one Michael Jackson song or another, and people are traversing the subway humming the guitar line to Beat It.  

It's interesting to consider just how many active performing artists were influenced directly by his career.  Even with all of the oddities and bizarre behavior, the body of work that he produced over the course of his lifetime is undeniably phenomenal and something to be revered.  One of the things I've come to appreciate most over the last day is just how much everyone, and I do mean everyone appreciated his music.  You just like Michael Jackson. Whether you readily acknowledge it, or are even readily aware of it. . You like Michael Jackson. He's singing your song.

I'm not sure "sad" is even the right word to describe my disposition.  I'm surprised, and I'm hoping that one day the only thing he is most remembered for is his otherworldly talent as a songwriter and performer.  That's frankly all you can hear on the radio anyway.  

Peace Love and Vocal Harmonies. . Yee hee hee

No comments:

Post a Comment