Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Not Your Average "About Me"

I've read and participated in a whole bunch of "50 Things You Never Knew" or "20 Random Facts" and I posted the favorite songs one fairly recently. . But I just thought I'd shed a little light on what it is I'm doing at all hours of the morning.

Usually the answer is watching live concert videos and writing songs. There really is nothing like a great live performance, both for the performer and the spectator. And there's no better way to get inspired to play play play than watching other people slay it on huge stages. Here are ten of the most recent videos I've been checking out, and links to where you can find the kick ass footage. Thank goodness for YouTube.

1. The Raconteurs - Consoler of the Lonely (Live @ Glastonbury 2008) I happened upon this one while looking for scenes from "It Might Get Loud", which comes out tomorrow. It started my Raconteurs love affair. This is definitely the best one though.

2. Queen - Somebody To Love (Live in Montreal) This is the most recent obsession. Freddie Mercury was something else. I know this isn't news to anyone, but rediscovering stuff at a later point in life is always rewarding. It occurred to me while watching this video that even my mom liked Queen. . and she and I didn't always see eye to eye when it came to music.

3. Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows (Live @ Reading 2005) I posted this one on Pat's wall a few weeks ago at 5 in the morning. I have to imagine that it was the best day of most of the guys in that band's life. The entirety of the performance is basically flawless, and the scenery (both the sky, and the 50 thousand people) was probably a rush. Probably, haha. Couldn't really ask for a better day to rock.

4. David Gray - Lately (Live @ Pinkpop 2006) You didn't really think there would be a list of mine without this song on it, did you? Nah. This one really gets me though. It's pretty interesting considering I've spent most of my time listening to this song at night, that it still speaks just as well even on a beautiful sunny day. Few do it like David Gray. But my feelings on him are well documented.

5. Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker (Live from Earl's Court) Jimmy Page is a fucking beast. Led Zeppelin somehow managed to be the most rock and roll while simultaneously being the biggest rock stars. Those two are not always coincidental. Assholes.

6. Lady Gaga - Paparazzi (Live at 95.8 Capital FM Radio) Obviously. At this point anybody that would deny her talent is a jackass. You don't have to like it, but be fair and give credit where credit is due. Also, I don't think she's a hermaphrodite. In fact, I think that's horse shit. But, she does have the biggest balls.

7. Queens of the Stone Age - White Wedding (Live Acoustic @ Live 105.com) First of all Billy Idol is awesome, though cheesy. I'll forgive him that, for sure. Secondly I think that paying homage to the artists that have influenced you most kicks ass. Given the number of songs that Pat and I have played over the last couple of years that we don't actually like, I'll speak for both of us in saying it's particularly rewarding to play stuff that moves you.


9. Nirvana - Drain You (Live & Loud) Kurt Cobain was a genius. Maybe a bit dramatic at times, but no less a genius. Truly a king of guitar noise. . and really just noise in general.

10. Kings of Leon - Sex On Fire (Live on David Letterman) This is pretty old considering the life span this song has now enjoyed. As my tweets and Facebook updates attest to, I'm not sick of this song (or Use Somebody). These guys take a shit load of pride in their live performance, and I most assuredly appreciate that. Sick way to end a song. We may have borrowed that idea. . From them and whoever they borrowed it from.

You can also check out our YouTube Page for some pretty bad ass, ever growing, ever evolving collection of live footage.

I love all of you

Peace Love and Vocal Harmonies Bitches

1 comment: