Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Intro To Backtracking. . .

First of all, the song in the listening section "Moth's Wings" by Passion Pit is a song I've been listening to constantly as a result of reading about it in John Mayer's blog.  They're kind of an MGMT band (Electric Feel, Time To Pretend) an electronic based band with total rock feel.  This is the kind of stuff I love, and always have.  It's cool when a new band comes along to remind you of some of your old influences.  It's clear that the two aforementioned bands enjoyed listening to bands like Depeche Mode, The Cure and Erasure.  Those three bands all have songs that I would probably have once referred to as my favorite song.  The thing I love about Rock, is how usable it is in almost every other distinct genre.  In some way or another at some time or another, everyone just wants to Rock.  So bands with an electronic, or acoustic, or piano/mellow foundation will find ways to bring the Rock.  Keane somehow manages to do so without a guitar. But roots in Rock are very important.

That serves as a longwinded introduction to what I will be calling "Backtracking".  I just knocked out three bands (Depeche Mode, The Cure, Erasure) that will most assuredly be included.  I intend to go back and listen to some stuff I haven't heard in awhile, and some stuff I've never really given the college try.  I'll openly admit to never really sitting down and listening to a Doors record.  

I did so tonight for the first time in my life.  It so happens that due to their prominence once upon a time, I've had an awful lot of exposure to Doors songs without even trying.  For my first legitimate listen, I'd say that they appeal to me more now than they ever might have before. Maybe I'll try and spin on a Doors song some night soon.  Look out for that.  I think the new game is gonna be grabbing songs by bands I don't hear a lot of requests for (Aerosmith for example, again) and seeing what it sounds like when The Turn plays it.

Welcome to BackTracking by The Turn.

Peace Love and Vocal Harmonies

B

1 comment: