Monday, April 13, 2009

Coffee Talk Part II: Followup + Shout Outs

First of all, I need to shout out to Christina Ferrara, Beth Melillo, Heather Cahill and Marykate Byrnes.  We love you guys so much it's ridiculous.  If you've ever made it out a Turn show, chances are you've seen at least two, maybe all four of these lovely ladies singing along with us. It's amazing, and we can't wait to see all your faces in the crowd at The Big Show on Saturday night.  You helped us build it, and I hope you're ready to Rock.

Now, as far as the guitar solos go. . I've done a lot of thinking about this.  Not only today, but really over the past fifteen years or so since I've been playing the guitar.  Obviously any guitarist's favorite solos are going to vacillate, but I'd say the ones we latch on to are the ones that stay true.  That being said,

1) Led Zeppelin - Thank you (BBC Sessions).  This solo in its entirety might not stand up to some of the others, but the opening run is so otherworldly amazing that It has to be mentioned first.  I don't know that I'd say it's my favorite necessarily, but every time I hear the first ten seconds of it, I get chills.

2) Metallica - Fade To Black.  Not only the intro, but also every interlude and the closing solos are works of guitar artistry that could only have originated from the mind of Kirk Hammet. Incidentally, Pat and I performed this song at our 8th grade talent show, long before the inception of what you now know as The Turn.  Some of you reading this may remember that.  

3)  Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb.  This solo is mind boggling.  In fairness, so is most of what happens every time David Gilmour picks up a guitar.  

About ten seconds ago, as the blog "auto saved" itself, it occurred to me that this list could just as easily have been my top five favorite soloists.  Since I'm already 60% finished, I'll go the rest of the way.  But seriously, Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammet, David Gilmour?  Big time shock that these are among my favorite solos.  Or anyone's for that matter.  Survey any guitarist of their favorite solos, they might not be the same, but I'll bet you see a lot of the same names on their lists as you would on mine, or Pat's.

4)  John Mayer - Wait Til Tomorrow.  The song isn't his.  The solo is. Originally by Jimi Hendrix (another gentlemen that would most assuredly appear on the majority of guitarist's lists), Mr. Mayer puts his own spin on what might have otherwise been an obscure Jimi Hendrix song.  On John Mayer Trio's live record "Try!" he lays down one of the nastiest, yet most precise solos I've ever heard.  It fits the song perfectly, and for lack of better terminology, smacks you upside the head.  It's intense.  If you have the opportunity to do so, it's 3:03 into the song.  Go on, do it.

5)  Taking Back Sunday - Miami.  I'm actually listening to this right now.  I don't know that anyone would necessarily put Fred Mascherino, (now formerly of Taking Back Sunday) in a class with the previously mentioned gentlemen, which is not a sleight at all, but those first four names are institutions in the guitar universe.  Basically, if you've got a 6 foot poster in the window of any Guitar Center, let alone multiple Guitar Centers, you're on everyone's top five. This solo also delivers chills without fail.  It has all of the elements of a great solo.  Not too over the top (as some Slash solos are, sorry), not too long, and fit to the song.  A good solo should sound like it was tailor made to appear at the point it does in the song.  There are some great solos that just don't belong in the songs they're in (see Justin King's "Change") and some that are like puzzle pieces.

There you have it.  That's my top five.  At least for today.  Perhaps the top five in May will be different.  But that's a good starting five.  And the sixth man award goes to Coheed and Cambria for The Final Cut.

Stay tuned for Pat's Top 5.  And feel free to comment on your top 5.  If there's any solos you'd suggest we listen to, fire them over, we'd be happy to listen.

Peace Love and Vocal Harmonies

Brian

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you mentioned Coheed, because I know the whole time I was thinking it. For the longest time I've been saying how that song reminds me of Pink Floyd.

    ReplyDelete