Monday, April 13, 2009

Late Night Blogging

I've been listening to Queens Of The Stone Age a ton recently.  Specifically their latest record "Era Vulgaris".  There's really little else one could want from a rock record.  Josh Homme just plays guitar.  That in fact, is something I'd boast of The Turn.  If ever we were going to have a slogan other than Rock The Turn (and we just might) it would be "We Play Guitar". . cuz we do. So does Josh Homme.

If you're not familiar with that record, I'd recommend downloading a couple of songs:
1) Make It Witchu
2) Suture Up Your Future

Those two songs have become a staple in my car over the last few months.  In fact, I figure now would be a good time to share with you just what I/we have been listening to over the course of the production of "The December Sessions" and also what you might hope to find on our upcoming record, again, yet to be titled.

First of all, as if you didn't already know, The Turn loves Kings Of Leon.  Frankly, at this point, who doesn't?  "Sex On Fire" is perhaps the most ubiquitous song of the past year, and maybe of all time. . no I'm just kidding. . I think.  But seriously, other than "Wonderwall" there's no song as widely requested or as widely recognized right now, and that's fortunate, since we love playing it.  "Only By The Night" is a really solid record, and one we spent a lot of time listening to.  Listen to "Use Somebody" with your eyes closed.  Seriously.  This record encouraged both Pat and I to go back and check out their previous offering "Because Of The Times", and were rewarded for our diligence, because that record kicks ass too.  Check them both out.

Radiohead - In Rainbows.  For any of you that read my "25 Random Facts" post on Facebook, you know that I've listened to this record roughly 50 times from beginning to end over the last 3 months or so.  It's impossible to get away from.  If you put it on, you'd better be prepared to listen to the whole thing straight through.  If you made me pick a favorite I'd say "Nude". . . But then I'd feel really guilty about leaving out the other 9 songs on the record.

Coldplay's most recent record is solid straight through.  I'd say October was the height of my listening to that record personally.  A bunch of trips over the Triboro (Recently renamed "RFK") Bridge led me to spin that one from start to finish more than a few times.  "Lost" is where it's at on that record, at least for me.

Recently I've gone back through "Abbey Road" a few times.  Along with Pink Floyd's "Animals" and "Wish You Were Here", that's one of the most popular night time Mazda records.  Those are three of the greatest works of genius in popular music history, and if it's been awhile, now is definitely the time to go back and brush up. 

Get to studying.  Class dismissed.

Peace Love and Vocal Harmonies

Brian





No comments:

Post a Comment